Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tale as Old as Time, Song as Old as Rhyme...

Call me a little kid at heart, but my favorite movie of all time is probably Beauty and the Beast. I own the soundtrack and listen to it all the time, probably could quote the entire film, and it's one of only two movies that's ever made me cry. Why? Well, first off, I really feel a connection with Belle.

She has her nose stuck in a book all the time (which, from personal experience, takes some skill!), people think she's slightly weird, and when she see people she sees them for the person they are, not what they look like. Even though she's gorgeous, she doesn't seem to realize it and wants someone to like her for her. Belle wants adventure and romance, and that's exactly what she gets!

Perhaps why I like this movie so much is the message behind it (the songs and animation alone are pretty cool too though). People CAN change if given time and the right friends; they can rise above the mistakes they've made and become better people! After all, the Beast goes from wanting to keep a young woman trapped so that he can be a pretty boy again, to willing to throw away his chance to be human so that the same girl can take care of her dying father. Love can change even the most beastly person. (He's so awkward....)

So I'm really hoping Beastly, a modern retelling of this story, is good too.
 
Probably not though. I mean, how can you beat the version that has a womanizing candle, a stuck-up clock, and awesome musical numbers??? But I'm going to go see it in theaters today anyway, because even if the movie isn't great I enjoy chick-flicks every once in a while...but after it's finished I'll probably come home and watch the cartoon again and wish I could dance around in a yellow ballgown too.

Beast - "I want to do something for her.....but what?"
Cogsworth - "Well, there's the usual things: flowers...chocolates....promises you don't intend to keep...."

No comments:

Post a Comment